Home » News » Public Safety
Authorities say jumper had no role in Belmont fire
Fire Department Lt. Greg Bavis said Ryan LeMay, 38, was the lone person in the three-story apartment building at 149 Young Road when fire broke out at 6:30 p.m.
LeMay, who could not be reached for comment, jumped from a second-story rear deck of the building as the fire spread, having been reportedly trapped in a room. He fell 24 feet and landed in a dump truck, Bavis said.
The cause of the fire has been determined as careless disposal of smoking materials, but LeMay is not suspected of having any connection to the smoldering materials, he said.
"The fire was accidental in nature," Bavis said.
The fire started in a second-floor egress in the wall of the building, he said.
When firefighters arrived a first alarm was called for as fire was showing from the roof, the right side, and rear of the large, four-unit apartment building with garages underneath. A second alarm was requested and then a third alarm was called at 7:08 p.m. for additional manpower and water supply help.
Firefighters knocked down the fire on the exterior of the building and in the attic and roof areas with outside streams, and then advanced hand lines into the second and third floors to extinguish the remaining fire in the walls, floors, and attic.
The house was badly damaged, but firefighters managed to save much of it, Gilford Police Chief Stephen Carrier said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council