Home » News » Public Safety
Goffstown school locked down during scare at nearby library
GOFFSTOWN -- A heavy police presence at the library on Friday afternoon sent the nearby elementary school into "a modified shelter in place."
Police were called to Goffstown Public Library at approximately 2 p.m. on Friday after someone who appeared to be a vagrant walked into the library, prompting concern among library employees. Employees called police and then quickly evacuated the library building.
When police responded, the individual was questioned but no charges were brought and no arrest was made, according to Police Chief Patrick Sullivan.
The chief said nearby Maple Avenue Elementary School went into "modified shelter in place," which means students and teachers stay in their classrooms until they get the all-clear, which they got about a half-hour later.
"It was just some homeless guy. He was just looking for some clothes, that's all," said Sullivan.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua - 0
- Pair rescues dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- Police dog Mingo is in even better hands - 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 1
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials say law governing bingo 'consultants' needs work - 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gatsas incesed by unauthorized use of his phone number for 'robocalls' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
George Will: The face of IRS behavior