Home » News » Public Safety
Croydon home burns in two-alarm fire
A Croydon home was heavily damaged in a house fire Wednesday night. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
Firefighters responded to the home at 11:29 p.m. for a report of a structure fire with explosions, Croydon Fire Chief Steve Rizza said.
The explosions turned out to be 20-pound propane tanks just outside the home, as well as ammunition stored inside the home, Rizza said.
The fire wasn't under control until 3 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene putting out hot spots until 6 a.m.
"The reason is the metal roof," Rizza said. "It really acts like an oven."
After investigating the scene with a state fire marshal, Rizza said late Thursday morning that the fire appears to have been accidental and caused by a woodstove.
The home had structural, fire and water damage.
The homeowners were not home when the fire occurred, and no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze, Rizza said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 5
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's