Home » News » Public Safety
Croydon home burns in two-alarm fire
A Croydon home was heavily damaged in a house fire Wednesday night. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
Firefighters responded to the home at 11:29 p.m. for a report of a structure fire with explosions, Croydon Fire Chief Steve Rizza said.
The explosions turned out to be 20-pound propane tanks just outside the home, as well as ammunition stored inside the home, Rizza said.
The fire wasn't under control until 3 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene putting out hot spots until 6 a.m.
"The reason is the metal roof," Rizza said. "It really acts like an oven."
After investigating the scene with a state fire marshal, Rizza said late Thursday morning that the fire appears to have been accidental and caused by a woodstove.
The home had structural, fire and water damage.
The homeowners were not home when the fire occurred, and no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze, Rizza said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release