Home » News » Public Safety
Croydon home burns in two-alarm fire
A Croydon home was heavily damaged in a house fire Wednesday night. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
Firefighters responded to the home at 11:29 p.m. for a report of a structure fire with explosions, Croydon Fire Chief Steve Rizza said.
The explosions turned out to be 20-pound propane tanks just outside the home, as well as ammunition stored inside the home, Rizza said.
The fire wasn't under control until 3 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene putting out hot spots until 6 a.m.
"The reason is the metal roof," Rizza said. "It really acts like an oven."
After investigating the scene with a state fire marshal, Rizza said late Thursday morning that the fire appears to have been accidental and caused by a woodstove.
The home had structural, fire and water damage.
The homeowners were not home when the fire occurred, and no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze, Rizza said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- More than 100 NH doctors victims of identity theft, tax fraud - 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing