Home » News » Public Safety
Croydon home burns in two-alarm fire
A Croydon home was heavily damaged in a house fire Wednesday night. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
Firefighters responded to the home at 11:29 p.m. for a report of a structure fire with explosions, Croydon Fire Chief Steve Rizza said.
The explosions turned out to be 20-pound propane tanks just outside the home, as well as ammunition stored inside the home, Rizza said.
The fire wasn't under control until 3 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene putting out hot spots until 6 a.m.
"The reason is the metal roof," Rizza said. "It really acts like an oven."
After investigating the scene with a state fire marshal, Rizza said late Thursday morning that the fire appears to have been accidental and caused by a woodstove.
The home had structural, fire and water damage.
The homeowners were not home when the fire occurred, and no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze, Rizza said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 4
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- Red Sox held to one hit as Angels coast to win - 0
- Market Basket: Analysts point to debt - 0
- Goffstown CIP committee wraps up for year, sends work to planning board - 0
- Holloman’s fotball career is over in Dallas due to injury - 0
- Tringale in contention at The Barclays - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m