Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox top Tribe for fifth straight win
Jacoby Ellsbury, Shane Victorino and Mike Carp each collected three hits for the Red Sox, who scored three times in the top of the first in support of Alfredo Aceves (1-0). Aceves cruised through five innings before allowing three runs in the sixth.
Napoli singled home two runs in the first off Cleveland starter Justin Masterson (3-1), and Nava drove home Dustin Pedroia with the inning's third run. Carp tripled home a run in the fifth and Nava's sixth-inning single scored Victorino to make it 5-0.
Cleveland sliced into the lead in the sixth on back-to-back homers by Nick Swisher (a two-run blast) and Jason Giambi, cutting the deficit to 5-3.
Aceves allowed seven hits and three runs in five-plus innings. Andrew Bailey pitched the ninth in place of injured closer Joel Hanrahan, earning his first save.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox wrap up the three-game series today before returning to Fenway Park to face Kansas City, in Boston's first home game since Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon. ... Masterson gave up four runs on 11 hits in five rocky innings. ... Boston's Junichi Tazawa struck out four in two perfect innings of relief, and Koji Uehara fanned two in a scoreless eighth inning.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Guard unit receives award for extraordinary service - 2
- 'NH National Guard Day' proclaimed by governor - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Pearl Harbor survivors remember attack - 0
- NH veterans remember attack on Pearl Harbor - 0
- Family wants remains of Swanzey sailor killed at Pearl Harbor returned for NH burial - 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'