Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox top Tribe for fifth straight win
Jacoby Ellsbury, Shane Victorino and Mike Carp each collected three hits for the Red Sox, who scored three times in the top of the first in support of Alfredo Aceves (1-0). Aceves cruised through five innings before allowing three runs in the sixth.
Napoli singled home two runs in the first off Cleveland starter Justin Masterson (3-1), and Nava drove home Dustin Pedroia with the inning's third run. Carp tripled home a run in the fifth and Nava's sixth-inning single scored Victorino to make it 5-0.
Cleveland sliced into the lead in the sixth on back-to-back homers by Nick Swisher (a two-run blast) and Jason Giambi, cutting the deficit to 5-3.
Aceves allowed seven hits and three runs in five-plus innings. Andrew Bailey pitched the ninth in place of injured closer Joel Hanrahan, earning his first save.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox wrap up the three-game series today before returning to Fenway Park to face Kansas City, in Boston's first home game since Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon. ... Masterson gave up four runs on 11 hits in five rocky innings. ... Boston's Junichi Tazawa struck out four in two perfect innings of relief, and Koji Uehara fanned two in a scoreless eighth inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals are culture war aggressors - 0
- Bruce Berke: A minimum wage hike would hurt NH's young people - 37
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Does the future belong to Asia? - 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false