Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox top Tribe for fifth straight win
Jacoby Ellsbury, Shane Victorino and Mike Carp each collected three hits for the Red Sox, who scored three times in the top of the first in support of Alfredo Aceves (1-0). Aceves cruised through five innings before allowing three runs in the sixth.
Napoli singled home two runs in the first off Cleveland starter Justin Masterson (3-1), and Nava drove home Dustin Pedroia with the inning's third run. Carp tripled home a run in the fifth and Nava's sixth-inning single scored Victorino to make it 5-0.
Cleveland sliced into the lead in the sixth on back-to-back homers by Nick Swisher (a two-run blast) and Jason Giambi, cutting the deficit to 5-3.
Aceves allowed seven hits and three runs in five-plus innings. Andrew Bailey pitched the ninth in place of injured closer Joel Hanrahan, earning his first save.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox wrap up the three-game series today before returning to Fenway Park to face Kansas City, in Boston's first home game since Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon. ... Masterson gave up four runs on 11 hits in five rocky innings. ... Boston's Junichi Tazawa struck out four in two perfect innings of relief, and Koji Uehara fanned two in a scoreless eighth inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released