Home » Opinion » Editorials
Boston: The face of American resolve
History's pages are scattered here and there with fools who believed they could rattle sabers or unleash brutal men or kill random innocents and thus strike terror into the stout heart of New England's greatest city.
Some of their memories are tough to recall. Gov. Thomas Hutchinson, Gen. Thomas Gage, King George III and a host of British petty tyrants, a serial killer, gangsters and mafiosi, and now a pathetic, passive murderer of children and women. The city outlived and outgrew them all before, as it always will.
Boston bow to the threats and blows of little men who harbor little boys' delusions of power and dominance? Boston? Never.
On Tuesday, President Obama said of this great nation, "the American people refuse to be terrorized." And the defiant face that expresses this refusal is the face of Boston.
Boston will never be terrorized. Its spirit disallows the possibility. Whether the world eventually comes to understand this truth, it is truth nonetheless. The people of Boston have proven it for almost four centuries. They will prove it for centuries more.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you