Home » News » Public Safety
Hart Senate office building reopened after suspicious substance tested negative
Officials were looking into a suspicious package in the Hart building. They also looked into suspicious envelopes in the Russell building and questioned an individual in that matter, the spokesman said.
On Tuesday U.S. authorities intercepted a letter sent to U.S. Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi that preliminary tests showed contained the deadly poison ricin.
The facility is remote and not located near the White House itself, spokesman Edwin Donovan said in a statement.
City Hall and surrounding buildings were evacuated while police inspected a U-Haul van parked outside the government buildings. Police said the van had been stolen and that it was reported as unattended by a nervous citizen.
Officials said they are always vigilant for any potential threat, but nerves are on edge following the bombs in Boston at the marathon finish line on Monday that killed three people and injured 176 others.
"People are very sensitive right now because of the Boston bombing," said Oklahoma City Police spokeswoman, Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH math professor wins 2014 MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 4
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 4
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof