Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Nashua man charged in 'cannibal cop' conspiracy to torture, rape, kill women and kids
Prosecutors released this photo of items Robert Christopher Asch brought to a meeting with a FBI undercover operative to allegedly be used in a kidnapping. (Southern District New York U.S. Attorney's Office)
Richard Meltz, 65, of Nashua and Stanhope, N.J., who is the chief of police for the Bedford, Mass., Veteran Affairs Medical Center, was one of two men charged Monday with conspiracy to "kidnap, torture, rape and kill women and children," according to the FBI. Robert Christopher Asch, 62, of New York City, also was arrested Monday.
In media reports, defense lawyers have said the men, along with alleged co-conspirator Michael Vanhise, were engaging in fantasies that they never carried out.
FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge George Venizelos, though, said the men had purchased stun guns and chemicals to subdue potential victims.
"As alleged, both of these defendants took affirmative steps to carry out the conspiracy to kidnap and torture women," Venizelos said in a statement. "Their actions were not confined to talking about these ghoulish plans."
Vanhise, who was arrested in January, allegedly communicated online with former New York City police officer Gilberto Valle, 28, who was convicted March 12 of one count of kidnapping conspiracy. Valle is scheduled to be sentenced June 19.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Police say woman broke into Hollis home and took pictures - 0
- Addiction treatment doctor gets restricted license - 0
- Newmarket man charged with sex assault of 12-year-old girl - 0
- Wife charged with stabbing husband during argument - 0
- Imprisoned pair could add to their already lengthy sentences if found guilty of assault - 0
- Judge nixes house arrest for man convicted in Ponzi scheme - 0
- Raymond man faces possession of child porn charges - 0
- Man failed to note conviction on gun permit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917