Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Nashua man charged in 'cannibal cop' conspiracy to torture, rape, kill women and kids
Richard Meltz, 65, of Nashua and Stanhope, N.J., who is the chief of police for the Bedford, Mass., Veteran Affairs Medical Center, was one of two men charged Monday with conspiracy to "kidnap, torture, rape and kill women and children," according to the FBI. Robert Christopher Asch, 62, of New York City, also was arrested Monday.
In media reports, defense lawyers have said the men, along with alleged co-conspirator Michael Vanhise, were engaging in fantasies that they never carried out.
FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge George Venizelos, though, said the men had purchased stun guns and chemicals to subdue potential victims.
"As alleged, both of these defendants took affirmative steps to carry out the conspiracy to kidnap and torture women," Venizelos said in a statement. "Their actions were not confined to talking about these ghoulish plans."
Vanhise, who was arrested in January, allegedly communicated online with former New York City police officer Gilberto Valle, 28, who was convicted March 12 of one count of kidnapping conspiracy. Valle is scheduled to be sentenced June 19.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424