Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Nashua man charged in 'cannibal cop' conspiracy to torture, rape, kill women and kids
Prosecutors released this photo of items Robert Christopher Asch brought to a meeting with a FBI undercover operative to allegedly be used in a kidnapping. (Southern District New York U.S. Attorney's Office)
Richard Meltz, 65, of Nashua and Stanhope, N.J., who is the chief of police for the Bedford, Mass., Veteran Affairs Medical Center, was one of two men charged Monday with conspiracy to "kidnap, torture, rape and kill women and children," according to the FBI. Robert Christopher Asch, 62, of New York City, also was arrested Monday.
In media reports, defense lawyers have said the men, along with alleged co-conspirator Michael Vanhise, were engaging in fantasies that they never carried out.
FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge George Venizelos, though, said the men had purchased stun guns and chemicals to subdue potential victims.
"As alleged, both of these defendants took affirmative steps to carry out the conspiracy to kidnap and torture women," Venizelos said in a statement. "Their actions were not confined to talking about these ghoulish plans."
Vanhise, who was arrested in January, allegedly communicated online with former New York City police officer Gilberto Valle, 28, who was convicted March 12 of one count of kidnapping conspiracy. Valle is scheduled to be sentenced June 19.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police: Activist in chicken suit was warned not to pester Shaheen prior to arrest - 0
- Judge orders prosecutors to disclose more details in Portsmouth bat beating probe - 0
- Former Claremont police dispatcher waives hearing on sexual assault charges - 0
- Some sexual assault charges dismissed against Nashua caretaker - 0
- Dover man indicted in sexual assault of young girl - 0
- Rochester man facing attempted murder charge - 0
- Mother, daughter, man charged in prostitution case in Nashua - 0
- Alleged accomplice of Dover-area burglaries indicted - 0
- Somersworth liquor store robbed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 8
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917