Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Nashua man charged in 'cannibal cop' conspiracy to torture, rape, kill women and kids
Richard Meltz, 65, of Nashua and Stanhope, N.J., who is the chief of police for the Bedford, Mass., Veteran Affairs Medical Center, was one of two men charged Monday with conspiracy to "kidnap, torture, rape and kill women and children," according to the FBI. Robert Christopher Asch, 62, of New York City, also was arrested Monday.
In media reports, defense lawyers have said the men, along with alleged co-conspirator Michael Vanhise, were engaging in fantasies that they never carried out.
FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge George Venizelos, though, said the men had purchased stun guns and chemicals to subdue potential victims.
"As alleged, both of these defendants took affirmative steps to carry out the conspiracy to kidnap and torture women," Venizelos said in a statement. "Their actions were not confined to talking about these ghoulish plans."
Vanhise, who was arrested in January, allegedly communicated online with former New York City police officer Gilberto Valle, 28, who was convicted March 12 of one count of kidnapping conspiracy. Valle is scheduled to be sentenced June 19.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bay State following in NH's footsteps with 'upskirting' law - 0
- Epping supermarket worker arrested after brutal break room attack on female coworker - 0
- Nashua woman arrested in connection with homeless man's hit-and-run death - 2
- Roommate convicted of selling heroin out of former Manchester teacher's home - 0
- Senate approves parental rights bill - 0
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
- UPDATE: Boscawen police have two men in custody - 0
- Dover man accused of robbing woman at knifepoint - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council