Ice may be out on lake, but it left damage in Meredith
Public Works Director Michael Faller said the last two posts on two of the docks were damaged by ice last Wednesday night and into Thursday.
It's happened before, Faller said, recalling similar damage in 2007.
The problem occurs when the wind blows the ice remaining on the lake up against the docks. "The wind has to be blowing in a certain direction, and the ice conditions have to be just right, and then it rolls in on the docks," he said. "It's a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing."
Faller said it will take a few weeks to repair the damage, but he hopes to have the docks ready for summer boat traffic.
The town will file a request for a permit with the Department of Environmental Services for the repair, and then will put the project out for bids to local marine construction contractors.
The project will likely cost several thousand dollars, he said. It will involve removing the pilings at the end of the docks and sinking new ones into the lake bottom.
The town has taped off the end of the affected docks to prevent people from using them. At this time of year, the docks are sometimes used by anglers.
"It's unsafe there right now. It'll be a few weeks before it's safe again," Faller said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gilbert Gottfried's dirty jokes, unmistakable delivery and twisted world views take center stage in Manchester - 0
- Waterville Valley exhibition reflects pop culture of '50s and '60s - 0
- Mystery Theater production will be performed at Franklin Opera House - 0
- Poet W.S. DiPiero to present reading - 0
- Concord gallery feature to woodworking exhibit - 0
- Get glimpse into life, mind of famous poet through historian's eyes - 0
- Trolley makes season's first Open Doors Arts and Cultural Tour tonight - 0
- Best-selling authors to visit Exeter - 0
- Tom Rush to perform at the Peterborough Players Theatre - 0
New Hampshire Club Notes
Zac Brown Band returning to NH
Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison