Police say stolen ring 'has been recovered'
MANCHESTER — Police have recovered a diamond ring that a Manchester man is accused of swallowing after his attempt to steal it from a jewelry store.
"The evidence has been recovered in that case," Sgt. Stephen Reardon said.
Ronald Perley, 52, of 45 Log St., was ordered held on Friday until the ring could be "passed and collected." Reardon said police received word early Saturday morning that the ring had been recovered.
Police said Perley entered Bellman Jewelers, 1650 Elm St., Thursday evening and told a sales person he was looking for an engagement ring, but after looking at one ring from a tray and returning it, he took a second ring and ran for the door.
Because of security measures, the door was locked.
Bellman Jewelers president and CEO David Bellman said Thursday that the door is locked and people are buzzed in and out. It's a crime prevention policy designed to discourage people who are considering a grab-and-run theft.
Bellman described the 14k white gold ring as a three-stone ring, with a large princess cut diamond in the center, smaller stones on either side and another six still smaller stones on the band.
A store security video shows Perley put his hand to his mouth and swallow. Searches of Perley, including a strip search, found no ring, but an X-Ray taken early Friday showed the ring, police said.