Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Man exchanges gunfire with Manchester police in chase
Police investigate a shooting on Silver Street near the Wilson Street intersection in Manchester on Friday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
An officer guards evidence in an alley between Wilson and Lincoln streets following a shooting in Manchester on Friday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
Authorities arrested Garrett Allen Gauthier, 21, and charged him with attempted murder, three counts of falsifying physical evidence and possession of a controlled drug (prescription drugs) with the intent to distribute, police announced Friday afternoon.
No one was injured in the exchange of gunfire, and police recovered three handguns Gauthier allegedly dumped while fleeing police around 10:20 a.m., authorities said.
The violence happened on the one-year anniversary of the shooting death of Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney. The chief was killed and four other officers were injured during a drug raid in Greenland.
Gauthier has several warrants, including a warrant out of the Boscawen Police Department for bail jumping and a warrant out of the Loudon Police Department for forgery. He is also being held on a warrant from Concord District Court for violation of probation and two from Franklin District Court for theft and criminal trespass.
Gauthier was arrested near Lincoln and Silver streets after a foot pursuit. The car Gauthier was riding in left the area but was later found along with the driver. Police wouldn't comment on a radio bulletin broadcast shortly after the shooting seeking a red Dodge Caravan.
"Manchester Police continue to investigate the role this driver and vehicle played in today's incident," police said in a statement.
Tessier would not release the driver's name later Friday, saying the person hadn't been charged as of Friday night.
Police said Officer Aaron Brown had stopped a car at Somerville and Wilson streets when Gauthier, a passenger in the car, fled on foot. Brown chased after him. Gauthier fired at the officer, who returned fire, police said.
Another officer, Eric Desmarais, joined in the foot pursuit, which led to Gauthier's arrest without further incident.
Police said "an expansive crime scene" had been identified and secured. Investigators were documenting and collecting evidence Friday afternoon, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge OKs early release for former teacher convicted of possessing child porn - 0
- Nashua man indicted for allegedly shooting girlfriend - 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed for fourth time - 0
- Manchester couple faces robbery, theft charges after Salem mall incident - 0
- Chainsaw-wielding man facing multiple charges over Sept. incident - 0
- Woman faces assault charge after Monopoly game gets out of hand - 14
- Plea deal gives shooter 15-30 years in 2012 death of Manchester man - 0
- Missouri governor urges calm ahead of grand jury decision on shooting; findings to be announced at 9 p.m. - 0
- Two Manchester brothers indicted in Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483