Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: Yale tips Mass Lowell, will play Conn. rival Quinnipiac for title
Senior captain Andrew Miller scored the game-winning goal when he beat Lowell goaltender Connor Hellebuyck 6:59 into overtime.
Yale will play Quinnipiac, a 4-1 winner over St. Cloud State in Thursday night's other semifinal, in Saturday's final.
Yale, located in New Haven, Conn., and Quinnipiac, in Hamden, Conn., are separated by 10.73 miles, according to Mapquest. Both are members of the ECAC.
The Bulldogs had a 47-18 advantage in shots on goal — including all seven in overtime – and improved their record to 21-12-3. Lowell, which won the Hockey East tournament and the NCAA Northeast Regional in Manchester, completed its season with a 28-11-2 record.
Yale led 2-0 after 20 minutes, but it was a 2-2 game entering the third period.
Mitch Witek and Antoine Laganiere also scored for Yale. Witek's goal came during a power play and was his first of the season.Lowell's Riley Wetmore and Joseph Pendenza scored 14 seconds apart in the second period.
Quinnipiac goalie Eric Hartzell made 33 saves to backstop his team's victory. Jordan Samuels-Thomas, Ben Arnt and Jeremy Langlois scored in the first period as the Bobcats built a 3-0 lead and cruised from there.
Quinnipiac, ranked No. 1 in the country, is 30-7-5.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
- College Football: UNH overwhelms Lafayette in FCS first round - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 12
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans