Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: Yale tips Mass Lowell, will play Conn. rival Quinnipiac for title
Senior captain Andrew Miller scored the game-winning goal when he beat Lowell goaltender Connor Hellebuyck 6:59 into overtime.
Yale will play Quinnipiac, a 4-1 winner over St. Cloud State in Thursday night's other semifinal, in Saturday's final.
Yale, located in New Haven, Conn., and Quinnipiac, in Hamden, Conn., are separated by 10.73 miles, according to Mapquest. Both are members of the ECAC.
The Bulldogs had a 47-18 advantage in shots on goal — including all seven in overtime – and improved their record to 21-12-3. Lowell, which won the Hockey East tournament and the NCAA Northeast Regional in Manchester, completed its season with a 28-11-2 record.
Yale led 2-0 after 20 minutes, but it was a 2-2 game entering the third period.
Mitch Witek and Antoine Laganiere also scored for Yale. Witek's goal came during a power play and was his first of the season.Lowell's Riley Wetmore and Joseph Pendenza scored 14 seconds apart in the second period.
Quinnipiac goalie Eric Hartzell made 33 saves to backstop his team's victory. Jordan Samuels-Thomas, Ben Arnt and Jeremy Langlois scored in the first period as the Bobcats built a 3-0 lead and cruised from there.
Quinnipiac, ranked No. 1 in the country, is 30-7-5.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
- College Football: UNH overwhelms Lafayette in FCS first round - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 4
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up