NHIAA: Pinkerton, Central post lacrosse wins
Memorial's Liam Smith and Central's Julio Rincon battle for the ball in the third quarter at Livingston Park in Manchester on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
Pinkerton 11, Londonderry 8: At Londonderry, Jake Lisauskas and Joshua Gallant each scored three goals and the Astros kept the Lancers off the scoreboard in the final quarter to raise their Division I record to 2-0. Pinkerton's Kenny Sturgess made 15 saves.
Dominic Corsetto (two goals), Todd Billetter (two) and Brendan Megan also scored for the Astos, who led 4-1 after one quarter, 8-4 at halftime and 9-8 entering the fourth. It was the Division I opener for Londonderry.
Central 9, Memorial 1: At Livingston Park, Tyler Cornellier and Connor Rowley each scored three goals to lead Central, which returns five seniors, but is still a very young team.
"We lost 11 or 12 players through graduation," said 10-year head coach Bill Lawson. "Of our 40 kids in the program for JV and varsity combined, only 11 are upperclassmen."
"We have five seniors who have been with me for four seasons," said Lawson. "As for this year, we'd like to make the tournament, but it's too early in the season to really talk or think about it. Our defense is our main strength. Marquis Sutton (five saves against Memorial) has been our goalie for three years and he will need to step up for us."
Nick Burgess scored the only goal for Memorial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 4
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child