Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders
According to multiple reports, Sanders' offer is for one year but the value of the contract is unknown. If the Steelers don't match the offer, they will receive a third-round pick as compensation.
The Steelers have minimal salary cap space, and matching any contract offer could be prohibitive. Pittsburgh would be left with only Antonio Brown among its top three wide receivers from 2012 if Sanders departs. Mike Wallace signed a $60 million contract with the Miami Dolphins in March.
With tight end Heath Miller returning from a torn ACL and other roster needs - namely an aging defense - the Steelers would be forced to bolster their receiving corps through the draft. Veterans Plaxico Burress and Jerricho Cotchery are under contract for 2013, but are not likely to be cast in leading roles.
Restocking that position in the draft hasn't been a problem for GM Kevin Colbert in recent years. Wallace (third round), Sanders (third round) and Brown (sixth round) were all chosen on what is now the third day of the draft.
Sanders visited the Patriots on March 15.
The diminutive slot receiver and return specialist caught 44 receptions for 626 yards (14.2-yard average) and one touchdown in 2012.
According to a USA Today report, Edelman was to sign a one-year contract. He had visited the New York Giants to gauge their interest
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
- State Supreme Court overturns termination of father’s parental rights - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Plea deal possible in Littleton murder
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use