Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders
According to multiple reports, Sanders' offer is for one year but the value of the contract is unknown. If the Steelers don't match the offer, they will receive a third-round pick as compensation.
The Steelers have minimal salary cap space, and matching any contract offer could be prohibitive. Pittsburgh would be left with only Antonio Brown among its top three wide receivers from 2012 if Sanders departs. Mike Wallace signed a $60 million contract with the Miami Dolphins in March.
With tight end Heath Miller returning from a torn ACL and other roster needs - namely an aging defense - the Steelers would be forced to bolster their receiving corps through the draft. Veterans Plaxico Burress and Jerricho Cotchery are under contract for 2013, but are not likely to be cast in leading roles.
Restocking that position in the draft hasn't been a problem for GM Kevin Colbert in recent years. Wallace (third round), Sanders (third round) and Brown (sixth round) were all chosen on what is now the third day of the draft.
Sanders visited the Patriots on March 15.
The diminutive slot receiver and return specialist caught 44 receptions for 626 yards (14.2-yard average) and one touchdown in 2012.
According to a USA Today report, Edelman was to sign a one-year contract. He had visited the New York Giants to gauge their interest
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats looking for quicker start against Miami - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass