Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders
According to multiple reports, Sanders' offer is for one year but the value of the contract is unknown. If the Steelers don't match the offer, they will receive a third-round pick as compensation.
The Steelers have minimal salary cap space, and matching any contract offer could be prohibitive. Pittsburgh would be left with only Antonio Brown among its top three wide receivers from 2012 if Sanders departs. Mike Wallace signed a $60 million contract with the Miami Dolphins in March.
With tight end Heath Miller returning from a torn ACL and other roster needs - namely an aging defense - the Steelers would be forced to bolster their receiving corps through the draft. Veterans Plaxico Burress and Jerricho Cotchery are under contract for 2013, but are not likely to be cast in leading roles.
Restocking that position in the draft hasn't been a problem for GM Kevin Colbert in recent years. Wallace (third round), Sanders (third round) and Brown (sixth round) were all chosen on what is now the third day of the draft.
Sanders visited the Patriots on March 15.
The diminutive slot receiver and return specialist caught 44 receptions for 626 yards (14.2-yard average) and one touchdown in 2012.
According to a USA Today report, Edelman was to sign a one-year contract. He had visited the New York Giants to gauge their interest
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'