Home » Opinion » Editorials
Special treatment: Letting a police chief walk
A Colby-Sawyer College student told the New Hampshire Attorney General's office that on March 6 New London Police Chief David Seastrand offered to drop underage alcohol possession charges against her if she would let him take nude photos of her. Last week, the AG's office announced that it had negotiated Seastrand's resignation from the force and there would be no charges. What an outrage.
To no one's surprise, "several" women have come forward since the story of Seastrand and the college student broke last week, according to the AG's office. They have reported similar stories. Now, finally, there is an extended criminal investigation. It should not have taken this long.
There were no charges at first because it was a "he said, she said" situation with no witnesses, according to the AG's office. Who believes that? The chief should have been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, with the attorney general announcing the reason and asking for anyone with information about the case to come forward.
Instead, the AG's office, which is supposed to protect the public, let Seastrand walk without bothering to find out if other women out there had similar stories. That is exactly how to discourage victims of sexual harassment from coming forward - and to embolden perverts in positions of authority to act on their impulses.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride