Home » Opinion » Editorials
Dangerous taxis: Manchester's regulation problem
Unlicensed taxis are a danger to the public because they don't have amenities such as expensive insurance coverage, mandatory driver background checks, and inspected vehicles, say city officials. Without the slightest acknowledgement of the irony, they touted the benefits of municipal taxi licensing just days after impounding every single licensed taxi cab in the city for safety violations.
It seems not to have occurred to any city official that we have both black market taxis and unsafe licensed taxis for the same reason: overly burdensome cab regulations. Those regulations pose a significant barrier to entry, which encourages people to offer their services underground. The regulations also outlaw competition based on price, which makes it difficult for licensed cab companies to maximize profits, which leads to cost-cutting measures such as delaying repair work.
The city has a serious cab regulation problem, not a serious cab problem. Reduce the regulations so that they encourage entry into the field and robust competition, and watch taxi service improve dramatically.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals are culture war aggressors - 0
- Bruce Berke: A minimum wage hike would hurt NH's young people - 37
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Does the future belong to Asia? - 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false