All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left.  Register| Sign In


Early-morning Keene fire put out quickly


KEENE - A two-alarm house fire on Old Walpole Road was quickly put out by firefighters early Wednesday morning after a passerby called 911.

The electrical fire started outside, said Keene Fire Chief Gary Lamoureux.

"A passerby spotted the (electrical) sparks coming off the wire," Lamoureux said. "He called 911, then notified the homeowner."

The husband and wife who were in the two-story home as well as their dog were uninjured.The fire started in the electrical wires between the house and the electrical meter on the outside of the house.

From the outside, the fire travelled up into the eaves. "Once it got up there, it traveled into the attic space," Lamoureux said. "Once it gets into the attic, it will travel quickly."

Firefighters cut a hole in the roof and pulled down the second-floor ceiling to get at the fire.There is about $30,000 to $40,000 worth of structural and cosmetic damage to the Gambrel-style home, Lamoureux said.

The fire was toned out at 1:18 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene at 1:25 a.m. The fire was declared under control at 1:58 a.m.


Comments


To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:

  • Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
  • Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
  • Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
  • Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
  • Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
  • If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.

Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.

Be the first to comment.

Post a comment


You must sign in before you can post comments. If you are experiencing issues with your account please e-mail abuse@unionleader.com.