Home » Opinion » Editorials
Leeland's run: A question of mental health treatment
We don't know whether Eisenberg is a threat. We do know that he considers himself at least a potential threat, which is why it is troubling that he was in a situation in which he could just walk away.
In a column submitted to this newspaper in February (but not published), Eisenberg wrote that he got excellent mental health care in prison and concluded that such treatment could prevent another Newtown.
"I'm Leeland Eisenberg, I know from where I speak," he wrote. "I am a state prisoner with mental illness and a receipient (cq) of this treatment, who's (cq) success will be measured by the harm I don't cause in the future."
The implication was clear: he would harm people if his treatment were unsuccessful. Is he a threat? Who knows? Unpredictable people act unpredictably. The more pressing question is: How effective is the mental health treatment for those who need it in prison and after release?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 2
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 9
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 21
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 40
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Tournament: Bedford, Exeter on Div. I collision course - 0
- Rollinsford's Hill has goals in mind - 0
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 2
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 0
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 10
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell, Berlin boys advance - 0
- App offers a comprehensive look at all candidates - 0
2nd CD post-debate 'spin room': Garcia 'shocked' at how many times Kuster interrupted her
Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens
KSC student facing charges related to riot
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw