Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Obama economy: It is dreadful
On Friday, the Labor Department reported that a dismal 88,000 jobs were created in March. That figure might be revised upward later, as previous jobs numbers have been. But there is no mistaking how bad it was. Even The New York Times offered no positive spin.
The Times reported that the unemployment rate was declining because more of the unemployed are giving up entirely. It even pointed out that "(r)elatively low-wage sectors like food services and retail have accounted for a large share of the job growth in the last few years."
The labor participation rate is 63.3 percent, the lowest it has been since 1979. The year after that was the year the nation rejected Jimmy Carter in a landslide for a President named Reagan, who offered a way out of the malaise. Yet today we accept high unemployment and snail's-pace growth in part because Reagan's party continues to be outmaneuvered by a President constitutionally incapable of governing, but born to campaign.
This is not the Bush economy. It is, as Obama said it would be by now, the Obama economy. And it is a dreadful one. Under him, it is likely to remain that way for years to come.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 8
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 13
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man