Home » Opinion » Editorials
A fitting welcome: NH thanks Vietnam veterans
In this case, however, the welcome was long overdue. The Vietnam War veterans in attendance, and perhaps some who didn't attend, seemed truly gratified by the day, by the crowd, and by the words of elected officials and event organizers.
U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte spoke of how towns across our little state saluted Vietnam veterans at town meetings this year.
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter spoke of being a teenager "watching the war" on television and then watching friends and classmates leave to fight.
Gov. Maggie Hassan and U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen spoke the simple "thanks" and "welcome home" that these veterans wanted to hear. (Where, by the way, was Rep. Ann Kuster, whose district includes Concord?)
It was former state Sen. Gary Lambert of Nashua who sponsored the legislation making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day. He modestly said he had plenty of help with the effort.
Marine Corps and Vietnam veteran John O'Brien of Orford personally sent letters to towns across the state asking them to honor their vets. Many did.
Emcee Peter St. James, who has made remembering our troops and veterans his personal passion for years, and the New Hampshire National Guard did a first-class job with a simple, solid and dignified event.
It was New Hampshire through and through.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 28
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Business Newsreel: Kimberly-Clark faces lawsuit over Ebola protection gear - 0
- GT Advanced, Apple try to keep lid on COO's comments - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters