Home » Opinion » Editorials
A fitting welcome: NH thanks Vietnam veterans
In this case, however, the welcome was long overdue. The Vietnam War veterans in attendance, and perhaps some who didn't attend, seemed truly gratified by the day, by the crowd, and by the words of elected officials and event organizers.
U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte spoke of how towns across our little state saluted Vietnam veterans at town meetings this year.
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter spoke of being a teenager "watching the war" on television and then watching friends and classmates leave to fight.
Gov. Maggie Hassan and U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen spoke the simple "thanks" and "welcome home" that these veterans wanted to hear. (Where, by the way, was Rep. Ann Kuster, whose district includes Concord?)
It was former state Sen. Gary Lambert of Nashua who sponsored the legislation making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day. He modestly said he had plenty of help with the effort.
Marine Corps and Vietnam veteran John O'Brien of Orford personally sent letters to towns across the state asking them to honor their vets. Many did.
Emcee Peter St. James, who has made remembering our troops and veterans his personal passion for years, and the New Hampshire National Guard did a first-class job with a simple, solid and dignified event.
It was New Hampshire through and through.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 39
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false