Home » Opinion » Editorials
A fitting welcome: NH thanks Vietnam veterans
In this case, however, the welcome was long overdue. The Vietnam War veterans in attendance, and perhaps some who didn't attend, seemed truly gratified by the day, by the crowd, and by the words of elected officials and event organizers.
U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte spoke of how towns across our little state saluted Vietnam veterans at town meetings this year.
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter spoke of being a teenager "watching the war" on television and then watching friends and classmates leave to fight.
Gov. Maggie Hassan and U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen spoke the simple "thanks" and "welcome home" that these veterans wanted to hear. (Where, by the way, was Rep. Ann Kuster, whose district includes Concord?)
It was former state Sen. Gary Lambert of Nashua who sponsored the legislation making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day. He modestly said he had plenty of help with the effort.
Marine Corps and Vietnam veteran John O'Brien of Orford personally sent letters to towns across the state asking them to honor their vets. Many did.
Emcee Peter St. James, who has made remembering our troops and veterans his personal passion for years, and the New Hampshire National Guard did a first-class job with a simple, solid and dignified event.
It was New Hampshire through and through.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 8
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 22
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride