Home » News » Public Safety
Motorist OK after driving into Mont Vernon post pffice
Police said there were people inside of the post office at 4 Grand Hill Road at the time of the accident, but no one was injured when Linda Koch smashed her 2011 Subaru Forester into the building's glass doors shortly before 10 a.m.
Koch, 69, of Mont Vernon, had parked her vehicle in a handicapped space in front of the building when she accidentally accelerated the gas instead of applying the brakes, according to Chief Kyle Aspinwall.
"The car went into the building a couple of feet," said Aspinwall, adding it had to be towed from the scene.
He does not anticipate any charges to be filed against the driver.
"This was an accident. There was nothing really criminal about it," said the chief.
However, Aspinwall said the state Division of Motor Vehicles may review her license status following Friday's accident.
It was unknown whether the post office closed on Friday, but Aspinwall assumed that because of the extensive damage to the front entrance, that daily operations were likely brought to a halt.
A call to the post office went unanswered Friday night.
About a year ago, a similar accident occurred at the same post office when an unidentified driver crashed their vehicle into the outside wall of the building just next to the front entrance.
"That was a hit and run. We never did find the person responsible," Aspinwall said on Friday, noting that accident occurred on March 28, 2012.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072