Home » News » Public Safety
Woman's body found in Merrimack River in Manchester
MANCHESTER — A passerby discovered a body of a woman in the Merrimack River on Saturday morning, police said.
“It appears someone had discovered a body partially submerged in the Merrimack River by Jillian’s,” Lt. James Soucy said.
Detectives are investigating the discovery in the Millyard around 6:55 a.m.
The state Attorney General’s Office hadn’t been called in by mid-morning, he said.
The body was taken to the state medical examiner’s office in Concord for an autopsy, Soucy said.
Michael O’Brien, who works for O’Brien’s Outdoor Services in Bedford, said he showed up around 7 a.m. to do landscaping work and saw police cruisers, a fire truck and an ambulance.
“We were told not to go back there” near the Granite Street Bridge, he said.
After hearing someone found a body, O’Brien said, “Obviously, that’s a shocker.”
Last year, he said his boss found someone badly beaten up in the same general area.
“I guess it’s not that unusual for things like that to occur down there,” he said.
On Thursday afternoon, a passerby in Nashua spotted a body found partially submerged in the Nashua River. Police haven’t released the man’s name but said it could be that of a 43-year-old man reported missing in February.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads