Home » Opinion » Editorials
Nashua's tower saved, but not by Obama
Earlier this week, the President flew to Colorado to campaign for tougher gun control laws, then on to San Francisco for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser. At $179,750 per hour to fly Air Force One, National Review Online's Jim Geraghty pegged the cost of this week's trip at roughly $1.4 million. That is enough money to keep Nashua's tower open for years (it costs about $1,000 a day to run).
As Deroy Murdock notes elsewhere on this page, Vice President Biden could have stayed for free in the U.S. ambassador's 60,000-square-foot residence during his recent trip to Paris. Instead, Shotgun Joe opted for a Paris hotel - at a cost of $585,000.
Late last month, as Nashua officials pleaded with Washington to keep the tower open, USAID awarded a grant of $3.8 million to assist in the creation of a new pension system - in Armenia, Geraghty also reported.
Three flight schools are based at Nashua. Without air traffic control, student and new pilots would have to navigate the skies (which are traversed by commercial flights out of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) by themselves. Obama might want to ponder that.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 3
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?