Home » Opinion » Editorials
Nashua's tower saved, but not by Obama
Earlier this week, the President flew to Colorado to campaign for tougher gun control laws, then on to San Francisco for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser. At $179,750 per hour to fly Air Force One, National Review Online's Jim Geraghty pegged the cost of this week's trip at roughly $1.4 million. That is enough money to keep Nashua's tower open for years (it costs about $1,000 a day to run).
As Deroy Murdock notes elsewhere on this page, Vice President Biden could have stayed for free in the U.S. ambassador's 60,000-square-foot residence during his recent trip to Paris. Instead, Shotgun Joe opted for a Paris hotel - at a cost of $585,000.
Late last month, as Nashua officials pleaded with Washington to keep the tower open, USAID awarded a grant of $3.8 million to assist in the creation of a new pension system - in Armenia, Geraghty also reported.
Three flight schools are based at Nashua. Without air traffic control, student and new pilots would have to navigate the skies (which are traversed by commercial flights out of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) by themselves. Obama might want to ponder that.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Up late with Shaheen: Misplaced Senate priorities - 17
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 3
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 6
- Electronic benefits: Sin and the EBT card - 2
- ‘Legislative cocaine:’ Gambling and state revenue - 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 14
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
License revocations for DWI announced
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents