Home » News » Public Safety
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge damage estimated at $2 million
The bridge took a "big hit" when the 473-foot, Portuguese-flagged tanker MV Harbour Feature came loose at the state pier and struck the bridge, damaging a pier and structural supports.
Cianbro of Pittsfield, Maine, has been hired by the Maine and New Hampshire departments of transportation to perform the repair work and has begun steel fabrication, staging and mobilization.
Original, detailed fabrication drawings of the bridge dating to the late 1930s were obtained from the company involved with the bridge's construction, Harrington & Cortelyou/BMcD, Inc. of Kansas City, Mo., which NH DOT officials said will help expedite the steel fabrication and repairs.
The work is expected to take about a month to complete and the bridge is closed to vehicular traffic until it is completed.
NH DOT officials say they are confident the aging bridge can be repaired and reopened.
The State of Maine is currently in the design phase for a replacement bridge, with the hope of starting construction in 2014.
NH DOT spokesman Bill Boynton said ultimately they expect to recover the costs of the repair work from the company responsible for the damage to the bridge.
The investigation into what caused the tanker to come loose from the pier is still being conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard.
On Wednesday, Nordic Tankers, the commercial manager of the tanker Harbour Feature, said it has been cooperating fully with the U.S. Coast Guard and local responders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua bomb squad deployed, people evacuated after fireworks explosion - 0
- Driver trapped by live wires after early morning crash in Bow - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- Nashua police department adds 8 new members - 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 45
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released