Home » News » Public Safety
Three displaced in Concord two-alarm blaze.
Battalion Chief Ken Folsom said the fire started about 12:30 a.m. on the front porch of the large Colonial home at 72 School St. Flames ignited two propane tanks for a gas grill, and spread to the first and second floors and then to the roof.
Folsom said the fire burned for a while before one of the gas tanks exploded, waking a resident in a second-floor apartment. He alerted the other two residents to the danger and all escaped safely.
The only smoke detector was in the basement, Folsom said.
By the time firefighters arrived, the front porch was in flames and the fire had spread into the first and second floor apartments.
All off-duty firefighters as well as fire crews from surrounding towns were called in to fight the the blaze that went to two alarms. About 90 minutes later, after the fire burned through a section of the roof, the blaze was under control.
One firefighter sprained his ankle and was treated at Concord Hospital and then released.
Folsom said the displaced residents are staying with relatives. He estimated damage at $250,000.
"Pretty much all of the front of the house is burned up and it burned into the first two stories and part way through the roof," he said.
According to the city's appraisal database, John D. MacIntosh owns and lives in the Colonial which was built in 1869.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 1
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 5
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers