Three displaced in Concord two-alarm blaze.
Battalion Chief Ken Folsom said the fire started about 12:30 a.m. on the front porch of the large Colonial home at 72 School St. Flames ignited two propane tanks for a gas grill, and spread to the first and second floors and then to the roof.
Folsom said the fire burned for a while before one of the gas tanks exploded, waking a resident in a second-floor apartment. He alerted the other two residents to the danger and all escaped safely.
The only smoke detector was in the basement, Folsom said.
By the time firefighters arrived, the front porch was in flames and the fire had spread into the first and second floor apartments.
All off-duty firefighters as well as fire crews from surrounding towns were called in to fight the the blaze that went to two alarms. About 90 minutes later, after the fire burned through a section of the roof, the blaze was under control.
One firefighter sprained his ankle and was treated at Concord Hospital and then released.
Folsom said the displaced residents are staying with relatives. He estimated damage at $250,000.
"Pretty much all of the front of the house is burned up and it burned into the first two stories and part way through the roof," he said.
According to the city's appraisal database, John D. MacIntosh owns and lives in the Colonial which was built in 1869.