All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | From Online

Lawyer: Chief called student after arrest

By DAN SEUFERT, Union Leader Correspondent
April 05. 2013 3:48PM

Union Leader Correspondent

NEW LONDON – Three days after she was arrested on misdemeanor charges, former Police Chief David Seastrand called a current female Colby-Sawyer College student to the police station “to ask how she wanted to resolve her case,” according to the woman’s lawyer.
It was then that he allegedly he asked her to pose for nude pictures in exchange for dropping charges against her for underage possession of alcohol and for submitting a false name to police, said attorney Richard Lehmann of Douglas, Leonard and Garvey in Concord.
The student complainant, who is under age 21, did not expect a phone call from the police about her case, as she had already been arrested and arraigned on the charges, and had pled not guilty, Lehmann said.
Police prosecutors sometimes have contact with people after they’ve been arrested and arraigned, but “usually (the accused or their lawyers) have to contact them,” he said.
“It was very unusual,” he said.
Seastrand resigned Thursday as part of a negotiated agreement with the Attorney General’s office after an investigation into his actions on March 6, when the woman claims he made his request. He had announced his retirement earlier in the week but did not give a reason.
A complaint was made to the Attorney General’s office regarding Seastrand’s alleged interaction with the woman. Attorney General Michael A. Delaney announced Thursday that a negotiated disposition had been reached that called for Seastrand to resign his position and permanently relinquished his certification as a police officer.
As a result, no charges will be filed against him by the state, the attorney general said.
Lehmann said the woman accepted the state’s decision, but will file a civil suit against Seastrand in the coming days.
Seastrand had been a member of the New London Police Department for 27 years, and has been chief since 1995. He could not be reached for comment, and all calls to town police regarding the former chief were referred to the town administrator.
On Friday, an announcement was added to the town’s website which said the town’s selectmen have appointed Sgt. Edward G. Andersen as acting chief of police.
“Chief Seastrand has indicated that due to an investigation undertaken by the state Attorney General’s office, he is unable to give his full focus to his duties as chief … he has indicated that he is unable to continue serving the town up to that date, under the circumstances.”
“The selectmen reiterate their strong support for Chief Seastrand and appreciation for his service to the town of New London for the past 27 years and wish him the very best in the future,” the statement read.
Selectman Peter Bianchi said the town was unaware of the attorney general’s investigation prior to Thursday.

Public Safety New London

More Headlines

Emails rekindle 1m UNH scoreboard debate