Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gov. Hassan's Attorney General: Why Joe Foster?
Foster is a successful and well-respected attorney for the McLane law firm, which bills itself as the state's largest (and best-connected) firm. But the resume that would open many doors for Foster should he seek employment at a bigger firm out of state poses some problems for him as an attorney general nominee.
Most obviously, Foster has no experience as a criminal prosecutor. His career specialty is bankruptcy law. That would be pretty good experience for the governor these days. But the attorney general is the state's top law enforcement officer. As such, he is in charge of investigating police shootings and prosecuting all homicides. Gov. Hassan wants to entrust all state homicide prosecutions to an attorney who has never prosecuted a pickpocket.
And as a business lawyer with numerous high-profile clients, who comes from a huge law firm with many more high-profile clients, Foster is likely to have to recuse himself from many, many cases to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.
None of this is to suggest that Foster is not a highly capable attorney. It is just that his selection makes one wonder whether Gov. Hassan is after the best possible attorney general or the closest political ally.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 3
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 21
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw