Home » Opinion » Editorials
Treat dispensers: Obama and the Easter Bunny
The Eastery Bunny and President Obama have a lot in common. Both are dressed up characters with a mythology to sell. One plays a creature with magical powers who hops all over the world to deliver sweet treats, free of charge, to everyone who believes in him. The other is a low-wage dude in a rabbit costume.
President Obama thrives on his own myth: that the United States suffers from a shortage of goodies dispensed personally by him. He promises to rectify that by borrowing trillions of dollars to finance his egg-dispensing. Infrastructure funding here, college subsidies there, scientific research over there, with loads of new regulations to fertilize the seeds, and soon, like tulips in spring - bing! - the economy will shoot back to life.
He's put that magical thinking into practice for five years. It has not worked. And yet people still believe him, just as children believe in the Easter Bunny. Eventually, though, children grow up. What's the Obama voter's excuse?
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'