Pirates skate away from Monarchs
Manchester remained two points behind Hershey for the eighth and final playoff spot in the AHL's Eastern Conference. The Bears lost at Albany on Friday night, 5-3.
Manchester took a short-lived 3-2 lead early in the second period, but Portland scored four unanswered goals, three in the third period.
Manchester went into the night six points behind Portland in the Atlantic Division. The teams play again Friday when the Monarchs come back home to Verizon Wireless Arena after six days off.
Linden Vey's 19th goal of the season got the Monarchs back into the game after Portland jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of goals in the opening three minutes of the first period. Vey and Tanner Pearson each had a hand in Manchester's first three goals.
Vey scored off assists from Pearson and Nick Deslauriers to make it 2-1 at 3:38. The period ended at 2-all after Pearson tied the game at 14:13 with his 14th goal. Vey made it 3-2 less than two minutes into the second period, but Portland struck for the equalizer at 8:07 on a goal by Evan Brophey. The Pirates pulled away with three in the final stanza.
READER COMMENTS: 22
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 0
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan