Home » Opinion » Editorials
An Editorial -- Joseph W. McQuaid, Publisher: Welcome them home
If you haven't had that chance, or if you would like to help say "thank you" to Vietnam veterans in a bigger way, then you should be in Concord Saturday at 2 p.m.
That is when a long-overdue official thank you from the people of New Hampshire is to be made to those who served honorably in that conflict and came home, sometimes to dishonorable treatment. It is also a way to say a quiet "thanks" to those from New Hampshire, all 228 of them, who did not make it home.
Maj. Gen. William Reddel III, Adjutant General of the New Hampshire National Guard, said it well this week.
"They never received a homecoming. There were no ceremonies or parades. There were no banners hanging from highway overpasses. No police escorts. They were shunned from the moment they touched down on American soil. Instead of being embraced at terminals across the country, many of our warriors slipped into a bathroom to change out of their uniform. As a nation, we treated them as outcasts."
The event to address that wrong is being held at the National Guard's Aviation Flight Facility on Regional Drive, just off Airport Road in Concord. It is free and the public is welcome. It probably won't last long, but taking place 40 years after it should have, it can't last long enough.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 15
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
- Editorial: Weare’s cameras - the PD’s scarlet letters - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax