Monarchs score a huge road win
Eight teams from each conference qualify for the upcoming Calder Cup playoffs, and the Monarchs, with 69 points, remain two points behind Hershey for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The loss dropped Worcester six points off the pace.
Manchester's Martin Jones stopped 40 shots in goal, withstanding a 19-shot barrage by the Sharks in the final period.
The Monarchs jumped out to a 3-0 lead, with Vincent LoVerde scoring what stood up as the game-winner at 8:59 of the first period on assist from Anthony Stewart and Brian O'Neill. It was LoVerde's second goal of the year.
A power play goal 29 seconds into the second by David Kolomatis, his sixth, made it 2-0 and Brandon Kozun pushed it to a three-goal lead midway through the period with his 24th tally of the season.
The Monarchs are back on the road Friday at Portland, before getting a week off. They start April with five of their first six games at home at the Verizon Wireless Arena, starting with a Friday, April 5 matchup against the Pirates.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 10
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans