Home » Opinion » Editorials
On concealed carry: For once, follow Vermont
Vermont, where people generally are less free than they are here, trumps New Hampshire when it comes to gun rights. Just over the Connecticut River, a gun owner can holster his weapon, throw on a coat, and go about his business without having to receive permission from the government. That sounds really bad to too many New Hampshire legislators.
House Bill 451, up for a vote today, would repeal the law requiring a permit to carry concealed. According to the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee, which opposes the bill, "(t)he present system ensures that local police departments do not issue licenses to persons that should not have them."
Actually, the law states that licenses shall be issued for hunting, target shooting or self-defense. It essentially orders licenses to be issued except for good cause. But chiefs have been known to abuse the authority the law grants them and deny or delay license approvals at will.
Opponents of HB 451 fear that removing the permitting process will turn New Hampshire into a lawless dystopia where gunslingers and gangsters battle daily for control of the mean, blood-stained streets, lined with the bodies of innocent victims. You know, just like Vermont.
READER COMMENTS: 13
- PSNH discount carries a cost: Loyal customers pay more, those who switch offered lower rate - 7
- Wind company’s tower permit delayed again - 3
- Protesters decry 4.2-cent increase to statewide gas tax - 0
- New Hampshire motorists decry hike in fuel tax - 26
- UPDATED: Power restored after 2,000 customers go without in Manchester's downtown - 0
- Company behind Groton wind plant promotes emergency plan - 0
- Citizens protest Hollis pipeline as town awaits project details - 1
- Spanish explosives distributor to lease Alexandria land to wind farm developer - 2
- Boost for Northern Pass partners? - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release