Home » Opinion » Editorials
New Hampshire change: Bye, Bedford Falls; hello, Pottersville
Don't look now, but with the proposals coming out of the State House these days, one could be forgiven for thinking that someone was trying to rewrite the Frank Capra film classic into a very bad ending.
Tops on the list this last week: pot-smoking, hard liquor later and expanded gambling.
The House vote on extending "last call'' to 2 a.m. at bars may end up being the last straw for New Hampshire voters who thought they would change things up in Concord this biennium. Apparently, a cabal of Democrats who want more revenue and libertarian-leaning "anything goes'' Republicans decided that selling booze in the wee hours makes perfect sense.
We heard one legislator proclaim that allowing local bars to serve until 2 a.m. would be safer because it would keep more of our drinkers drinking closer to home. If people are driving to another state to drink for one more hour, we think their problems are bigger than a local last call.
But we also heard that "many other states'' allow serving until 2 a.m. Yes, and many other states have income and sales taxes, too. And many other nearby states are sporting slot machines and decriminalizing pot smoking, too.
Keep this up and we can change our branding. Instead of "visit and shop family-friendly, no-sales-tax New Hampshire,'' we can go with "Come early, drink late, and leave your wallet.''
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 8
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 13
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain