Home » Opinion » Editorials
Maple Weekend: A glorious NH treat
If you have experienced Maple Weekend, you know the abundance of sensory pleasures it offers. If you have not, then you have deprived yourself of one of the great treats of life in the Granite State.
The world is full of modern indulgences. There are jaccuzi tubs, IMAX movies, elegant dinners, luxury cars. For children there are dazzling video games and magical concoctions of corn syrup and chemical flavorings. And yet there is a unique charm in the mix of sensations discovered when standing in the snow on a brisk March morning as the wind gently blows, dipping a cider doughnut into a cup of warm, fresh maple syrup, and taking in the beauty of this still rural state.
Though Maple Weekend is a tourist draw, it is a mistake to think of it as an event for flatlanders from out of state. This is a tradition for Granite Staters to cherish. These sugar producers are our friends and neighbors. The traditions they uphold are our traditions. They should be passed down to our children, not left for strangers to enjoy.
This weekend, 110 New Hampshire sugar shacks are offering syrup samples and boiling demonstrations. Some are offering sugar on snow, some pancakes, some cider doughnuts, some hot dogs boiled in syrup, some horse-drawn wagon or sleigh rides. No matter where in this great state you live, there is an operational sugar shack a short drive away. And this weekend it probably will be open, serving sweet treats to whomever wanders in. How can you resist?
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Inspiring sight in downtown Nashua on Good Friday - 0
- Salem church's Guatemala mission brings blessings - 0
- St. Margaret’s to remember veterans - 0
- Copter egg drop set - 0
- Passover marks time to celebrate faith, history - 0
- Construction begins on new Kingdom Hall for Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Manchester - 2
- Office of Tenebrae at St. Joseph’s - 0
- Communal Seder set for 1st day of Passover - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing