Monarchs lose in Springfield
The Monarchs (29-27-3-4, 65 points) have lost three straight games, scoring just one goal in that span. They lost, 3-0, to Connecticut at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn. last Saturday and lost to Providence, 3-1, on Sunday at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Rhode Island.
The Monarchs are tied with Albany for ninth place, but Albany has played three fewer games. Both teams are chasing Hershey and Connecticut, both with 68 points, for the last two playoff berths in the Eastern Conference.
Manchester has 13 games left to play in the regular season.
Manchester had a 5-on-3 advantage for 1:26 but didn't get one shot on net during the first period. Manchester is now 0-for-11 on the power play since Saturday's loss to Connecticut.
Thomas Larkin, a product of Colgate playing in just his second professional game, scored his first professional goal in the first period when he beat Manchester goalie Martin Jones (29 saves) with a wrist shot from the right wing circle. Nearly five minutes later Andrew Joudrey stole a pass intended for Linden Vey by Jones and scored an unassisted open net goal for the two-goal margin lead.
McElhinney was credited with 25 saves including 10 in the last frame. Springfield, which held a 27-15 shot advantage after two periods, wound up with 31 shots on net. The win snaps a six-game losing streak for the Falcons, who surpassed last year's total of 78 points. They have 79 points and are in third place in the Eastern Conference.
Manchester returns home to play Hershey Saturday at 7 p.m. and St. John's Sunday in a 3 p.m. start at the Verizon Wireless Arena.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Monarchs driven to key win over Bridgeport - 0
- Weal powers Monarchs past Phantoms - 0
- Gale lifts Monarchs to 3-1 win - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass