action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67

Home » News » Public Safety

March 21. 2013 5:13PM

Garage fire burns Rochester man

ROCHESTER - A local man was sent to a Boston hospital for burns he sustained during a garage fire at his Gonic home Thursday afternoon.

Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:03 p.m. after a structure fire was reported in the detached single-bay garage at 36 Railroad Ave.

"The garage was fully involved when we arrived," Fire Lt. Ken Chick said.

While it is unclear how many people were in or around the garage when the fire began, Chick said one man who was working inside had already been driven to Frisbie Memorial Hospital for burns on his arms and face. Chick said firefighters later heard the man was transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He said neither the extent of his injuries nor his status is available.

Local crews were assisted at the scene by Frisbie paramedics and firefighters from Dover and Somersworth. He said Somersworth firefighters also provided station coverage.

"The fire was knocked down quickly," Chick said, in about 10 minutes.

Chick said the fire destroyed the garage and its contents, including a 1980s Blazer-like vehicle and some mechanic's tools. He added the heat from the blaze also melted the siding of the nearby home and damaged some windows and the side of an adjacent building.

"Luckily the building was made of cinder blocks," Chick said.

Chick said firefighters believe the fire started after a spark ignited gasoline being drained from the vehicle, but they have not been able to talk to the man.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events